Guests will now find a cairn garden in the central atrium of Mii amo Spa. A cairn is a mound of intentionally stacked stones, and guests are invited to choose stones to create their own cairn as an expression of an intention or meditation.
The ritual of stacking stones into a pile called a cairn is a centuries-old practice used to memorialize people, locations and events. Native Americans assembled cairns for ceremonial purposes. Traditionally, these stones are of varying shapes and sizes and are indigenous to the area. Ours come from Boynton Canyon.
Cairns are often associated with a prayer, the setting of an intention or a quiet meditation. The mere act of choosing the perfect stone can inspire mindfulness as we contemplate and search for the stone that speaks to us. Placing a wish stone atop a towering cairn can be meditative and leave one feeling peaceful.
Also at the cairn garden, from 5:30 – 6:30 pm on Thursdays and Sundays, our Native American guest performer plays traditional pieces on an array of flutes, sharing stories of his ancestors through music handed down from the elders.
Mii amo Cafe shows you don’t have to go overboard on calories to celebrate an occasion like Valentine’s Day, or forgo it altogether just because you are on a destination spa vacation. With this four-course, prix-fixe menu, Chef Nicole Heaney wins our hearts with beautiful ingredients low in calories. Rich colors on the plate dazzle the eye, and the taste buds are wooed with flavors of cinnamon, raspberry champagne, caraway, spicy harissa and chocolate. An optional wine pairing seals the deal. Happy Valentine’s Day!
February 14, 2014
Butternut Squash Soup
Cinnamon Apple Foam
150 cal, 1g fat, 27c, 3g prot
Raventos I Blanc, Cava, Reserva Brut (Penedes) 2009
Seacat Gardens Freckled Romaine
Raspberry Champagne Vinaigrette
Goat Cheese, Marcona Almonds
250 cal, 8g fat, 43 carb, 6g prot
Domaine Fouassier, Sancerre (Sancerre) 2011
Seared Loup de Mer
Caraway Scented Cannelinni Beans
Sous Vide Red Cabbage, Harissa
570 cal, 12g fat, 60 carb, 49g prot.
Heron, Pinot Noir (Monterey) 2011
Dark Chocolate Souffle
House-made Raz Cherry Marshmallows
Toasted Macadamia Nuts
390 cal, 18g fat, 41 carb,16g prot
Justin, Obtuse (Paso Robles) 2010
$85 for non-Mii amo guests / $125 with wine pairing
Mii amo Cafe is open to guests of Mii amo Spa and Enchantment Resort
Mii amo Spa has created seven creative ways to express your love this Valentine’s Day, one for each day of the week during our “Romance, Laughter & Love” celebration February 9-15.
This Arizona destination spa thinks out of the box when it comes to Valentines. Surrounded by red rocks, in a stunningly beautiful location, couples will leave with a sweet memory of one’s commitment to each other. Each day, a different experience is featured. All are private sessions, ranging from 30-120 minutes, and must be booked in advance:
Sunday: Private ceremony in the Crystal Grotto, the spiritual heart of Mii amo, with drumming
Monday: Build a cairn to commemorate your relationship during a guided meditation
Tuesday: Soul Seeker for Couples, one of our specialty treatments with a master therapist
Wednesday: Create a vision board to cultivate more of what you want in the relationship
Thursday: Spirit of the Full Moon treatment, to release what no longer serves the relationship
Friday: Aura-Soma Relationship Reading, to reveal the give and take of each person
Saturday: Synastry – The Astrology of Relationships, offers best ways to communicate
To book your spa valentine, please contact a Mii amo consultant at 888.749.2137
A new moon leads in this new year, a season of new beginnings offering opportunities to grow, improve, and learn. Mii amo, an Arizona destination spa, brings together some of their best treatments, private sessions and activities for a month-long series to help kick-start your best year.
Each day, beginning Sunday Dec 29, 2013 through Friday January 31, 2014, a different activity or treatment will be featured. Learn ways to de-stress, have a personalized fitness program designed just for you, receive nutritional recommendations, create a vision board to manifest your hopes and dreams, and more. Your January Journey will put you on the path with tools, inspiration and knowledge to face a terrific new year.
With a lifelong passion for seasonal, fresh ingredients, our new chef, Nicole Heaney, is feeling right at home at Mii amo. Many of her one-of-a-kind dishes are already hits on our new menus, like the Lamb Chops with Carrot Cardamom Velouté featured in American Spa magazine. Guests will find new, rotating menus with delectable choices featuring a balance of sweet-salty-savory in every bite, like Mekong Curry or Charred Scallop Salad.
Diners can also design their own entrée, choosing a protein — wild salmon, ahi, organic roasted chicken, housemade seitan–with choice of sides: broccolini, kale, blistered shishito peppers, or seasonal foraged mushrooms with fennel pollen, to name a few choices.
Inspired by the destination spa’s organic garden, the taste and quality of local Arizona ingredients, and the challenge of creating satisfaction with lower calorie counts, Nicole is passionate about sharing “intelligent cuisine” with diners. There is no feeling of deprivation when dining here, only revelation that healthy food can be so satisfying. Heaney also oversees the popular cooking demonstration program, where she and her team offer inspiration for cooking deliciously healthy meals at home.
“What I love most about cooking at Mii amo is the attention I’m able to give each guest, creating a personalized culinary experience without adding to their waistline,” says Chef Nicole. Stop by the open kitchen and say hello on your next visit.
Tanya Wenman Steel, a James Beard Foundation Journalism award-winner who has served as Editor- in- chief of Epicurious and Gourmet, New York editor of Bon Appetit magazine, and appears frequently as an epicurean authority on national news and entertainment programs, recently chose to spend her birthday at Enchantment on a girlfriend getaway.
We were fortunate she took time out of her Sedona spa resort celebration to lead one of our cooking classes where she demonstrated a trio of recipes pulled from her New York Times best-seller: The Epicurious Cookbook: More than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes for Weeknights, Weekends & Special Occasions, a curated collection organized by seasons. “Four-Fork “refers to the highest rating readers can give a recipe. Guests enjoyed front-row seats at the Mii amo open kitchen and savored tastings of these three, easy-to-make recipes:
Mii amo, a destination spa, offers cooking demo classes Mondays, Wednesdays & Saturdays, 3-4 pm.
At Mii amo spa in Sedona, our “intelligent” cuisine is eclectic, delicious, and healthy with no sense of deprivation. Dr. Jenna Blasi, a naturopathic doctor who works with Mii amo guests, offers a strategy for cooking intelligently at home by taking a holistic approach to a better diet.
By Jenna Blasi, ND
When I was in naturopathic medical school, people always asked me, “How do you have time to exercise and eat right?” My response was, “How do I have time not to?” Without proper diet and exercise, my work took me much longer and was much less productive, and I was more tired.
This is not about being hard on ourselves, it’s about finding what works for you. No one way of eating works for everyone, but this cardinal rule does apply to all:
Eat whole, unprocessed (preferably organic) food as much as possible. Here is a strategy you can use at home:
Develop a healthy outlook and a strong foundation for health
- Take a holistic view of nutrition by looking at all aspects of your life
- Explore Ayurvedic medicine’s four pillars of health—nourishment, movement, sleep and sacred space and find where balance is needed.
Discover what triggers poor food choices and address it
- Lack of sleep
- Stress or emotional issues
- Lack of movement
- Lack of joy and activities that nourish you
- Make a weekly meal plan
- Choose one day a week to prepare and freeze food, like soup
- Cut up fresh vegetables for snacks and quick salads
- Stock up on healthy snacks like vegetables with hummus, a handful of almonds or walnuts, a rice cake with almond butter, or fruit
- Bring a soft-sided cooler to work with healthy snacks and lunch
Start your day right
- Begin the day drinking pure water, and keep hydrated throughout the day
- Eat a breakfast of protein and healthy fats, or complex carbohydrates
Keep blood sugar balanced throughout the day
- Eating simple sugars set us up for low energy and more sugar cravings
- While it’s okay to feel some hunger, starving yourself throughout the day usually leads to overeating later
Eat Consciously When unhealthy food cravings arise, stop, check in with yourself, and try to understand the triggers:
- Are you dehydrated? Drink a glass of water.
- Are you just stressed? Take some deep breaths, move
- Delay gratification when a craving hits instead of immediately giving in. Allow yourself to occasionally indulge to avoid feelings of deprivation
- Eat mostly vegetables (at least half your plate should be vegetables) with small amounts of good quality protein and/or whole grains
- Eat whole, unprocessed (preferably organic) foods as much as possible
- Do your best to eliminate bread, pasta, potatoes and white rice from your diet
- Eliminate soda, including diet (evidence links diet soda with obesity)
- Eat healthy fats
Guests who want to learn how to make healthier lifestyle choices can schedule a meeting at Mii amo with Dr. Jenna Blasi, a naturopathic doctor who completed a residency in Integrative Medicine at Yale University’s Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center.
With the imminent arrival of spring, now is a good time to revisit New Year’s resolutions and take stock of what is and isn’t working. For many of us, regular exercise is a goal that could use a kick start. Jan Dibeler, an exercise physiologist and life coach at Mii amo Spa in Sedona, offers this advice…
In setting your intentions to jump start an exercise program, use these strategies and move boldly in the direction of your vision:
1. Choose an exercise you enjoy. This will keep you looking forward to each session without it feeling like hard work. Find an exercise partner if appropriate.
2. Assess your fitness level with benchmarks that measure progress:
- Take your pulse rate before and after walking one mile
- Time a one-mile walk
-Count the number of push-ups performed at one time
- Measure your reach while seated on the floor with legs stretched out in front
- Record your waist circumference just above the hip bone on a bare abdomen
-Take your BMI (body mass index)
3. Design your fitness program:
- Set your goals and write your plan down on paper to stay on track
- Create a balanced routine. Wear a pedometer; have a daily goal of 10,000 steps
- Allow for recovery time
4. Assemble all equipment needed and get started
- Start slowly and build up gradually
- Break up time to fit your schedule: if a 30-minute session doesn’t work, do two 15-minute segments
- Be creative. Mix it up! Try hiking with the family, boxing, or an evening of ballroom dancing
- Listen to your body and take a day off if not feeling well. Jump back in right away
5. Monitor your progress by taking new measurements 6 weeks after starting, then again every 3-6 months.
You may need to increase the amount of time spent exercising, or set your sights higher to keep progressing toward your goal. Reward yourself with a book, clothing item, day trip or spa service once you’ve reached a goal.
Say yes to your vision for yourself; this is the time, the moment, to make an investment in YOU!
Dawn Lay, Esthetician for Mii amo spa in Sedona, offers these tips for getting skin smooth, polished and ready for spring.
Winter weather, dry indoor air, and too many hot showers can leave skin dry and dull looking, but regular exfoliation — the sloughing off of old dead skin cells in order to bring out the new — is the key to smooth, silky skin.
Exfoliation is an important part of our body treatments and facials at Mii amo as it helps prepare the skin to absorb nourishing and healing products. The removal of the oldest skin cells also helps reduce fine lines, tones the skin, minimizes pores and lowers the chance of acne breakouts, revealing younger, glowing and healthy skin from head to toe. Here are some tips for exfoliating at home:
- Keep your facial and body “scrubs” in the shower. It’s convenient and you’re more likely to use them on a regular basis.
- Never use a body scrub on the face, as it is too harsh.
- Exfoliate once to twice a week only. Over-exfoliation can create dry skin!
- Let the scrub do the work, not the pressure of your hands or fingers. For the face, small circular motions are ideal, using a light touch.
- We recommend using a facial exfoliator on the décolleté and neck as well as the face. Always use ‘up’ motions. Think anti-gravity.
- Apply a good facial moisturizer and body lotion, butter and/or oil after exfoliating to re-hydrate the skin.
Begin now with regular exfoliation followed by hydration, and your skin will feel rejuvenated for spring.
Beads come in many shapes, stones and colors and are beautiful not only as adornment but for the ceremonial and spiritual roles they play in many cultures. We asked Arizona-based MiaLena Designs to create a signature prayer bead bracelet exclusively for Mii amo Spa in Sedona. The handcrafted beads, which MiaLena sources from all over the world, were selected to remind guests of their journey at Mii amo and their intentions for moving forward on their path in life.
Czech glass sets the stage symbolizing clarity. Labradorite, said to reveal one’s dharma or divine path in life, is joined by amber, moonstone, sandalwood, and turquoise representing courage, new beginnings, good luck and balance. Two beads on cording signify relationship, and a series of three beads together remind us that body, mind and spirit are dynamically interrelated.
The bracelet also includes a gold foil bead from Nepal, a silver bead from Bali, a silver button clasp from Thailand and our sterling silver “Mii amo” charm which means “continue one’s path, moving forward, or journey.” The beaded bracelet is a token to wear as you continue on your journey from Mii amo. Available in our online boutique.